Thursday, July 23, 2009

How I Snatched Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory.....

The title is absolutely apt. Yeah, today I actually snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The setting was a table tennis doubles match in which I had partnered with my friend Rishabh Duseja.

We started on a positive note and were confident about our victory. The first set reinforced our belief as we won it quite convincingly. The second set also started on a positive note and we raced away to a 7-4 lead in a game of 11 points. It was a lead which we could have easily clung to and in the process pocket the match.

This is where I got over confident and started gifting points away. Though Rishabh reminded me to play my natural game but I was still experimenting thinking that the match was as good as over. My extra over confidence led to our downfall.

Our opponents slowly came from behind and in a stunning fashion won the second set 11-9. This victory put in more confidence in our opponents and put us into a shock which we found difficult to overcome.

With a new found zeal, our opponents started the match pretty well but Rishabh was upto their challenge and I was floundering and was messing up my serves. In the process our opponents raced to a 8-5 lead which we found difficult to overcome and ultimately lost the match despite playing better than our opponents for a major chunk of the game.

The difference between our victory and defeat was undoubtedly me. Because Rishabh was playing the best table tennis he ever played in his life and on the contrary I was playing my worst, which led to our defeat.

Through this blog I would like to apologize to my partner Rishabh for throwing the match away despite being in a position to win it.

4 comments:

mukul said...

Koi gal nahi ..hota hai hota hai...

Payal Mittal said...

Take it in your stride dear. I am sure even he would not have minded it.

karan said...

its ok dude...
Whats more imp is tht u realized whr u fall...

Rishabh said...

Dude..we gave our best and next time its going to be better...and it was nice playing with you...