Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Jog Down The Memory Lane



As I woke up this morning and looked out of the window of my flat, I saw a father who was teaching his toddler how to ride a cycle. At that very instant, I went into a flashback mode and envisioned myself on that cycle and my father behind me trying to teach me how to ride it. I remember vividly that the first cycle my father had bought me was a red BMX cycle which had pedal brakes.

My father would hold the seat behind me and ask me to pedal. I would pedal freely because I knew that my father was behind me and in the process he would leave the seat and that is how I finally learned cycling.

Today at 21, I still remember almost all my childhood memories as if all those happened yesterday. Back then life was much beautiful or atleast I would like to believe that. SInce I am the eldest of my siblings, I was no doubt the most pampered child and still continue to be one. Never in my life have I ever listened to a NO from my parents and that tradition still holds good. Maybe it is due to this benevolence of my parents that I still do not know the meaning of recession or economic slowdown or maybe my parents never allowed me to understand the meaning of these dreaded words.

Life had quite a different meaning back then. But as I started growing up, I came face to face with the harsh realities of life, something which I was never exposed to in my childhood. For me my childhood was a walk on the path of roses. From centrally air conditioned home to the latest model car to Mercedes Benz buses in which I went to school etc. Life was almost akin to a dream to me.

My parents made sure that I always had the best of everything. I was maybe 5-6 years old when I had my first helicopter ride and I must tell that it was fun. Flying over everybody else and having tthe liberty to look down at people who appeared no bigger than ants was something that would send my adrenalines gushing.

As I was lost in these memories, my roomie came up to me to say something and broke the flow of my thoughts. If a time machine actually exists, then I would really like to go back to the sweet and carefree days of my childhood which was no less than a dream.

4 comments:

Mukul said...

hiii,
Ahmed no doubt you have tried to recollect your sweet memories but i have also noticed that now you have started thinking about the harsh reality of life as well. that's true dude...life cann't be a bed of roses all the time... the dynamism and turbulences of it make it more meaningful. concept of time machine is good in dreams but if it comes true there will be a different meaning of life altogether....past is always beautiful but understanding reality makes life more meaningful....

Unknown said...

:) Gd one yaar......
I am waiting for your book to get published...
and ya ur new novel....u'll start it on 1st ...right??

Triplem said...

yeah will start on first

SooRAJ 2.0 said...

wow man... You write so well... you've won a fan here ;-)