Thursday, March 12, 2009

'COACH' Kuch Hota Hai



Finally I have to admit that cricket has once again become boring. You get to know the results of the matches even before they are played.

A couple of days ago as I sat watching India play (or should I use the word 'thrash') New Zealand, feeling quite tensed anticipating who might win the match. A friend of mine walked upto me and said, 'Don't worry, there is no way that India can lose the match.', saying this he simply walked away leaving me profounded.

And as he had predicted India had won the match. Now comes the million dollar question. Is a team as good as its players or as good as its coach?????

I see people heaping praises on Dhoni or Sehwag or Zaheer or Sachin, but can or should the same amount of praise should be levied on Gary Kirsten too??? One second.......Gary Kirsten, who?????

Well, I may not be absolutely wrong to say that nearly 50% of the people don't really know that Gary Kirsten is the coach of the great Indian cricket team.

Does Gary Kirsten too deserve a pie into the continuous success of the Indian team or can the team manage without a coach??? Well, I don't think so. A coach is like a battery who drives the team. Since Gary prefers to keep a low profile doesn't make him an alien to the success of the team.

I think he was responsible in creating a self belief in the team that could win matches from any position that they might be in. The phase after when he took over as a coach has been extremely rewarding for India and Gary Kirsten deserves equal amount of praise for his behind the curtain bravado.

Well, I feel that if given time Gary Kirsten can prove himself to be Sir Alex Fergusson and mould the Indian cricket team into the Manchester United of cricket.

P.S:- I have referred to Manchester United because in the current European Football Season they are unbeatable and it is virtually impossible to stop them in their quest to win an unprecedented quintuple of which they have already won two and are well on course to win the remaining three trophies too.

1 comment:

Rajesh said...

yeah just like greg chappel was responsible for the decline of indian cricket.