Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Wannabe Gods

This week has quite been an eventful one, both personally and professionally. The biggest teacher i.e. life has taught me many things which I don't think anyone else would have ever done.

Even on a global front, there are many things that have instantly grabbed the eyeballs and the media had a gala time reporting and misreporting them. From the Kashmir riots to the Leh disaster, the Mumbai Port crisis, CWG corruption scam etc. But the two bits of news that remarkedly made an expression on me were the Time magazine cover page (I didn't put that pic up here on my blog but you can google it to find out how gory it actually is) of an Afghan girl whose nose and ears were chopped off and a pregnant Afghan woman who was publicly flogged and then shot dead. The people responsible for this inhuman act is the extremist regime that rules Afghanistan - Taliban.

I am not trying to be judgmental in this post, but there are certain things for which I need answers. The 'crime' of the former girl was that she ran away from her in-laws home to avoid the harsh treatment meted out to her by them. And for this she was caught and her ears and nose were chopped off !!! And this was not done by any court or police or army or whatever. But was done by a handful of Taliban commanders because they thought she had done wrong by running away. I don't even need to write whether it was write of wrong because every logical and an empathic person would have known the answer.

My question is who are these people who act as if they are 'God's chosen ones' and in their pursuit of being 'God's chosen ones', they themselves are trying to become 'wannabe Gods'. What a joke???

My question is was ever the girl asked why had she run away?

My question is were the in-laws ever questioned about the ill treatment they meted out to the poor girl?

My question is what was her husband doing in all this fiasco?

My question is whether law is only for women?

The tale of the second girl too is gory enough to send a chill down your spine.

The second girl was actually a widow and when these 'wannabe Gods' found out that she was pregnant despite her husband being dead, she was flogged publicly and shot dead.

The question again arises that at a time when we talk of a peaceful world. Well.... I can't say a peaceful world but certainly a more civilized world, incidents like these totally derail the concept of being a Global Citizen. The beautiful country of Afganistan which shot into prominence in India mainly through movies like Kabuliwalah and Khuda Gawah has now gone to the dogs. Rules are being made and broken on an hourly basis just to keep a power hungry, ill cultured, brutal and ruthless regime happy. Again I am not being judgmental but just letting my anguish flow.

My question here is where is the man responsible for impregnating her?

My question is whether those 'wannabe Gods' took into account that her husband might have died recently leaving a pregnant wife behind?

My question is why weren't there anybody to stand up and speak for the woman?

My question is who authorized these 'wannabe Gods' to decide on killing a fellow human?

My question is whether these 'wannabe Gods' know that even religion tells that killing an innocent person is like killing the whole humanity?

My question is why do these 'wannabe Gods' and many more like them consider suppressing women and their legal rights as something being enthroned upon them?

My question is whether at any point of time will there ever be a check on such incidents or will they continue to become one of the many stories which become history?

Well... as always there are questions, questions and more questions for which most of the time there are no answers. But at least is somebody listening to these questions???

GOD !!! I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING.....

No comments: