Saturday, July 24, 2010

Angry but Helpless.......

Its been ages ever since I had posted anything on my blog. I am not a compulsive writer but an impulsive one. Something should really excite me to begin writing otherwise I just let it pass. During my MBA days back in Bangalore everything around me looked and sounded exciting but now back in Hyderabad, I won't say life is boring but must admit that it has become very monotonous. But as they say life goes on.

This is an incident which I happened to witness a couple of days ago and it has spurred me to post for the first time in almost 6 months !!!

I was in my car sitting on the back seat listening to songs on my iPod. It was raining heavily and the ferocity with which the rain drops were hitting the windows of the car, it appeared that the windows would soon give way. My driver was singing some songs in his hoarse voice quite sure that since I had my iPod plugged, I can't hear. We approached towards the Khairtabad X Roads (one of the busiest junctions of Hyderabad) from Taj Krishna road.

As we approached the signal, it went red and we stopped just behind the Zebra Crossing. As I was looking outside, something suddenly flashed past the car and almost instinctively my eyesight followed it. It was a girl who was riding a Pulsar bike and jumping the red signal.

Two cops ran towards her with an intention of catching hold of her, but in an instant she dodged both of them and sped away, almost knocking off one of the constable. Both the constables cut a sorry figure and were a subject of sarcastic comments and were letting out wry smiles to pacify themselves.

Some ten - fifteen seconds later a poor man aged at least 45, completely drenched in the rain peddled his cycle across, jumping the signal.

Those constables who were virtually slapped by the girl almost flew towards this poor man like eagles. They caught him by the collar, pulled him off his cycle and started shoving him. It was clearly evident that they were taking out the frustration of that girl on this poor man. This poor man started begging with folded hands but those constables wouldn't relent. As if all this was not enough, they even deflated his cycle tyres much to the horror of all the people who had lined up at the signal.

The man then slowly pushed his cycle towards the footpath and sat on it looking at everybody else.

I could feel that everyone including me were mad at those mindless constables but none (including me) said anything. The signal turned green and we started moving towards the Khairtabad flyover. On the way, I leaned to my left in the car to see that man. What I saw left me aghast. That poor man was crying !!!

He might have had some urgent work for which he was forced to break the signal, but a couple of mindless constables derailed his hurried journey. Even as we were moving towards IMAX, I kept on thinking as to where could that man find a cycle repair shop in this heavy rain and every time I thought about that man, my anger for those constables compounded. But I was helpless and did not do anything.

All I want to say through this post is that, power is to be used against equals and not against somebody who is inferior to you. Because the constables were unable to get hold of that girl, they trained their guns of a poor cyclist just to get rid of their frustration which I know was wrong....

3 comments:

mukul said...

hiii,
asusual i read ur post...the onlything that was surprising that u 2 kept quiet...i am puzzled, why so...It is the duty of each intellectual to raise voice against any injustice...The voice against the injustice has a lot of power and the greatest irony is that many a times people don't dare to raise...SAB KO LAGTA HAI APNE BAAP ka kya jata hai...

Rishabh said...

i think you should have offered help to that poor guy...coz that is the only option you actually had...

Anonymous said...

this is the irony but that is the way
mukul bhai accha example hai ....keep going