Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Kolkata Knight Riders Loses Its Biggest Fan



Prior to the beginning of IPL season 2, the only club that made all the noises was Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). Be it the signing of Mashrafe Mortaza for an astronomical amount or the multiple captaincy theory or the lambasting of a certain Sunil Gavaskar, KKR was every where. But as soon as the IPL began it was reduced to sawdust. The club that began with a huge roar is now moving with a frigtened whimper.

Nothing is going right for the KKR at this moment. Starting from the captain's form to the depthless batting and very mediocre bowling coupled by miserable fielding (especially Aakash Chopra - God!!! How did he fit into the 20-20 format???)

The only bright spots in KKR's crumbling armour are Chris Gayle (but he is leaving in a week's time)and Sourav Ganguly (He has proved why people call him DADA).

Though I am from the city of pearls (Hyderabad), I still chose to support KKR, just because Hyderabad's team had Andrew Symonds (the player I hate the most) and KKR's owner was The King and it had Chris Gayle, Ishant Sharma and David Hussey (some of the players I admire the most).

My friends who are reading this post will know how hardcore KKR fan I was. I must admit that KKR is the Real Madrid of IPL. The most glamourous club to be in but very mediocre in its performance.

KKR started its second season at IPL with a defeat to Deccan Chargers, but then again I thought that it was one of the off days of KKR and took it in my stride.

The next match was won by KKR against Punjab. Thanks to the rain and an unstoppable Chris Gayle. I thought that KKR was beginning to gel together as a team.

Then came an irony of fate. KKR lost to a fluke team like Rajasthan Royals. Mainly due to the selection of Ajanta Mendis as the bowler for the super over. Here the entire world realized why Dada is considered India's best captain ever. Had he ben the captain he would never have given Mendis the ball, specially not when Yusuf Pathan was batting.

Then came the final nail. Mumbai Indians just blew away the hapless KKR who were no match for the Mumbai Indians in any department of the game. Agreed that they were a bowler short as Anureet Singh had hurt himself even before he could bowl. But their batting fell apart like seven pins.

So now for me IPL 2 is over because untill there is divine intervention, KKR can never make it to the semifinals. But this doesn't mean that I will support any other team. Who knows I may support KKR in season 3 (provided they improve substantially), but definitely not in the ongoing season.

Now it doesn't matter to me who wins or loses the IPL.

May the most deserving team win.

1 comment:

Siddharth Jaithaliya said...

Fluke team like Rajasthan Royals...
Brush up your cricketing knowledge dats my only suggestion..