Monday, February 18, 2008

Flawed Epic !!!


' Aur agar aisa nahin hua anarkali, toh Salim tumhe marne nahin dega aur hum tumhe jeene nahin denge'.
This is the eternal dialogue of the eternal film Mughal-E-Azam.
As I was walking into the theatre to watch Jodha Akbar, I was expecting it to be of the same calibre of Mughal-E-Azam and by the time I was walking out of the theatre, I was thinking why the hell did i waste my time (3 hours and 30 minutes) and money over this flick as I could have gone bowling and ate at the Subway with the same amount of money and time that I put in to watch this movie.
Ok, first things first. Jodha Akbar is not a patch on the much superlative film Mughal-E-Azam.
It seems that the director only concentrated on the costumes and the sets of the movie and threw the script into the dustbin. The dialogues were spineless, the editing was loose (I was praying for the interval to come, but my prayers were answered only after 2 hours), there were many spoofs (How did Sujamal enter the premises of Akbar's court without being noticed and that too to meet the Malika-E-Hind). Even as I am writing this blog I am trying to remember atleast one dialogue from the film other than Jodhaa calling Akber as Shahenshahji.
The only saving grace of this dull and boring film were the performances of Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai. Though neither of them looked convincing as Akbar and Jodhaa respectively, but they made a decent attempt to get into the skin of their characters.
Overall I would give Jodha Akbar 5/10. And of those 5 points, 3 are for Hrithik and 2 are for Aishwarya.
The final word:- NOT RECOMMENDED ( There are better ways to spend your three and a half hours)

No comments: